Your Kitchen water faucet might be hindering you with low water pressure. As a result, you might be taking too long to rinse your dishes or even get your sink filled with water. What you will need to do is to remove the flow restrictor from the Grohe Faucet. You just don’t go right into removing it before you establish what kind of problem is hailing if the flow is really caused by the restrictor. It comes by many names, others will call it the flow restrictor, others will term it as a water flow limiter. All in all, they refer to one device.
Ensure that the check valve is working well.
Don’t just rush to the big problems like the pipes and pumps failure, first you need to check if the check valve on the faucet is working well. It is easier to do that. Here are the simple steps that you can also use,
- Unscrew the spray head and turn on the water to find out if the flow of water is well. If you find out that the flow of water is heavy after removing the head, then you will need to check inside the spray head for potential problems.
- Use a screwdriver to press down the check valve and then hook it so that you remove it from the spray head. Open water from both sides so that you are able to do a flush to remove any dislodged and trapped debris. If you realize the debris cannot be removed entirely, it is high time to replace the check valve.
The aerator can be clogged with debris and this can be a restrictor of the correct flow of water through the spray head. It is good to know that aerators have been designed with 3 main parts:
- Mounting runs
- Mesh screen
- Water flow restrictor/limiter
Both the screen and the limiter can be clogged but the good news about them is that they can be cleaned so that you are able to replace your increase in water flow.
Grohe Flow restrictor.
You must have a wrench that will be able to help you in removing the aerator. The simple process of removing it is as below.
- Insert the tool between the aerator and the ring and then pop out the ring.
- Turn over the wrench and then use the other side to insert it in the spray head.
- Turn it counterclockwise so that you are able to remove the aerator.
Sometimes you might find that the Grohe didn’t come with the kind of wrench that will assist you in doing all this process. There is always another option that you can turn to, the use of pliers. When you are using pliers, I advise that you cover the area where the pliers will hold on with a painter’s tape to protect it from getting damaged. After that, you can now turn the aerator anticlockwise with the pliers until a point that you will be able to remove it by hand.
At this point, you can now be able to remove the flow limiter that’s found inside the aerator. This is the part that you will find has holes in it.
How to clean the aerator?
You have to do a few tests here and there to gauge the problem. The first thing that you can accomplish is by replacing the aerator to the faucet without the use of the limiter and gauge the water pressure. Cleaning it is as follows,
- You need to soak the aerator in a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar. Allow it to settle for around 10-15 minutes.
- After that, scrub the aerator and then rinse it well.
- Replace it by screwing it in a clockwise motion manner.
Anything that is in the kitchen should work at its best. As we all know, water is very essential and we need to have it flowing with the required pressure so that we are able to accomplish washing tasks with ease. That’s why you always have to ensure that the water flow limiter works at its best at all times.
You may also like: How to tighten the moen bathroom faucet handle?